Friday 16 April 2021

A Tribute to Richard Tearle .... (7th May 1948 - 13th April 2021) by Helen Hollick

Father, grandfather, husband and treasured friend 

           A kind, generous, witty and supportive gentleman


Some while before Christmas 2020  my dear friend, and stalwart supporter of indie writers became ill – terminally, as it turned out, with diabetes and circulation problems, cancer, Covid 19 and then a stroke, which left him bed-bound, unable to use his hands efficiently and affected his voice. Before all this happened, I was intending to indie-publish Richard’s first short novel, The North Finchley Writers’ Group, and thereby help him achieve a life-long ambition of publishing a novel. He had already been immensely proud of the two volumes of short stories of Melody Mayhem that had been published for him  by Gaskell Press in 2020, but NFWG was to be a full ‘writ long’ story.

It had started, however, with a simple short story about a group of writers, which I casually suggested could make a darn good short novel.

Richard thought about the idea... and started writing.

I loved what he came up with, a fly-on-the-wall type story where the reader eavesdrops on the members of a writers’ group based in North Finchley, London, where Richard lived for several years and remained an area close to his heart.  The group members have their secrets, their hopes, their despairs (as writers, don’t we all?) and there’s a bit of romance flourishing for good measure. Richard cleverly wove into the story some hints and tips for budding new or novice writers: choosing character’s names, cover design tips, some ‘dos and don’ts’ – all knowledge gleaned from his love of supporting new and established indie authors to ‘do well’

Richard was passionate about this support. He had been an avid reader since childhood when he discovered the 'romances' (as they called them then) of H. Rider Haggard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Dejah Thoris, he claimed, was probably his first crush. Nevertheless, it wasn't until he retired in 2013 that he began writing short stories seriously, contributing regularly to Discovering Diamonds' annual feature of Stories Inspired By A Song, and also to a Richard III-based anthology, entitled Right Trusty and Well Beloved

Sadly, he became ill before NFWG had completed its editing – so I took over the task of the ‘final polish’. As his medical problems increased I decided to pull out all the stops to ensure that he achieved his life-long ambition of having a novel published. I was determined that Richard would hold a copy of his little paperback in his hands and enjoy some of the favourable reviews that followed. I’m so pleased that this was achieved – thanks to Cathy Helms of Avalon Graphics for designing the classy and eye-catching cover, to Alison Morton who formatted the text ready for publishing, to Caz Greenham, Elizabeth St John, Nicky Galliers and Annie Whitehead for proof reading and editing – and especially, to an author who wishes to remain anonymous, who funded some of the cost involved.

 

Richard's passion for music
inspired many of his short stories

I first ‘met’ Richard when, in 2011, purely on a whim, he applied to my plea for more reviewers for the Historical Novel Society’s indie authors reviews, of which I was, then, Managing Editor.

Having always enjoyed reading about characters of history, he thought, “well, why not?” He soon found himself caught up, not only in the stories that others had created, but the hoary problem facing all independent writers. Like many, he had assumed that Indie Publishing was either something akin to Vanity Publishing or books that weren't good enough for mainstream publishers.

“How wrong I was!” he later said.

Richard quickly cottoned on to the fact that many indie-written novels were good – very good, in fact. He also realised that indie writers had a hard time getting noticed, so set about “doing something to help”. He did this by reading, reading, reading – and giving fair, honest, constructive reviews. He would always consider that the author had spent blood, sweat and tears in producing their baby – for indies, financing and publicising it themselves. Therefore every effort should be made by a reviewer to honour that commitment by being fair.

At the tail end of 2016 I decided to open my own review blog (Discovering Diamonds) and Richard wholeheartedly and enthusiastically supported and assisted me to set the site up. #DDRevs (as it is fondly called) went from strength to strength with Richard as our Senior Reviewer (I repeatedly assured him that this meant our ‘top’ reviewer – not our eldest!)

Richard took the time to correspond with authors who hadn’t quite got things right, explaining why and suggesting another edit, or a quick proof read to correct the too-many typos. His greatest pride was reviewing, and loving, Paul Marriner’s novel The Blue Bench, which I subsequently selected as the #DDRevs Book Of The Year.


Richard was also my ‘Book Buddy’, he would read through my early drafts and  give his honest feedback and opinion. In return, I gave his name to a character in my Sea Witch novels – Richie Tearle appears in On The Account (and will be in future Voyages)

I miss our email correspondence, and it will be a lasting regret that we never actually met. I even miss his terrible jokes that were so bad, you just had to laugh.

Richard was born in Muswell Hill, London and nearly went to school with the Kinks and Rod Stewart. Starting work at the Ever Ready Company in 1964, he moved on to the Performing Right Society and ended his working life as a Civil Servant. Retiring in 2013, he lived in Lichfield, Staffordshire. He leaves four children and an equal number of grandchildren, and many writers who will remember him with deep fondness and gratitude.

Richard was a life-long Tottenham Hotspur football supporter, liked most sports, especially tennis, and also followed the New Orleans Saints in the NFL.

He said of himself: “I take neither life nor myself seriously.”


Tributes from fellow authors:

 From Annie Whitehead:

I can't remember when or how I first got to 'know' Richard, but we met online and chatted about life, music - our tastes coincided a lot - motorbikes (another shared passion), history and writing. He was a gentle, kind soul who was also laugh-out-loud funny. Like a lot of my friendships this one was mainly conducted over the internet, but Richard and I seemed to collide a lot there, especially when we both ended up on Helen's Discovering Diamonds team. I met him in real life back in 2018, when I was giving my first ever talk. He came to the venue, made sure to arrive early, hugged me, and said he'd sit front and centre so that when I looked out into the audience I'd be able to look straight at a friendly face. It calmed my nerves enormously and I'll never forget that act of kindness. Richard sent me a lot of his stories pre-publication and I was especially honoured to be able to read not only The North Finchley Writers' Group when it was in its early stages, but also his first historical novel, which he asked me to edit. Sadly, that won't now happen. Richard took  his work as a reviewer very seriously indeed, and his thoughtful appraisal of the many books he reviewed for DDRevs was always worth noting. A friend, a laugh, a stalwart, a writer, reviewer and a lovely person. He will be missed by everyone whose lives he touched.

From Nicky Galliers
I'm another of those who knew Richard without ever having met him face to face, but his boundless enthusiasm and kind, kind comments on every one of my December stories on Discovering Diamonds - and a shared love of Highlander - won't be forgotten. I had the privilege of working on his novella, The North Finchley Writers Group, and I do hope he was able to understand how good it is and how much fun. My thoughts are with his family - thank you for lending him to us a while, we'll miss him.

From Elizabeth St John
Richard's wit, wisdom, and kindness have an enduring place in my heart. He was always ready with an encouraging word, a thoughtful suggestion, and, best of all, a horrible joke. His enthusiasm for my research and writing was boundless, and when I chatted to him about my latest work, he immediately got to it with some inspiring insights that truly helped me decide to write this challenging book. I enjoyed his reviews immensely, and loved his short stories, all of which carried that special Richard magic of humanity and a touch of poignancy. You will be sorely missed my friend; know that I will talk to you often as I write, and I will always keep you close in my thoughts.

From Mercedes Rochelle
I’ve only known Richard through emails, starting with a wonderful review he left for one of my books on Discovering Diamonds. Since then, we found that we had a lot in common, and his cleverness with words shone through both in his correspondence and the short story collections he put together. I’m sorry he wasn’t able to finish the novel he was working on, Ulfius, which showed great promise. I meant to ask him how he was progressing on it and regretfully never took the chance. He was very insightful and, most of all, supportive. Richard was one of the kindest souls I ever met, and I miss him terribly. 

Comments From Facebook:

Kathryn Gauci: Oh no! I am so sad to hear this. He was always so supportive of me and we shared some fun posts. A huge loss. Condolences to his family.

Judith Arnopp: Very sad, he will be missed

Judith Greenwell: Sorry to hear the news, my deepest sympathy to Richard's family. RIP Richard.

Dave McCall: Really, really sorry to hear this. I'm just 80% through The North Finchley Writers' Group - it's a great legacy Richard's left us!

Paul Marriner: Sad news. He was such a good guy, a very good writer and so supportive of others.

Debbie Young: I'm so sorry to heart that, Helen, and my heart goes out to him, his family and his many friends. It was a wonderful thing you did to get his book across the finishing line while he was still able to appreciate it

MJ Logue: Oh I am so sad to hear this.

Liz Barrett: A lovely man who Dave and I got to meet. He will be very sadly missed.

Erica Lainé: I am so very sorry. He was exceptionally supportive of writers. He will be missed by his community.

Colin Crosby: I am so sorry to hear this. I met Richard several years ago when I led a Guided Walk in Lichfield, and found him a convivial companion. Rest in peace, Richard

Mary Anne Yarde: Such sad news.

Janet Lonton Was Sparey: So very sorry to learn of Richard's passing. My deepest sympathy.

Wendy Myers: How very sad. Thoughts to his family and friends.

Elisabeth Anne Millard: Sad news condolences to his family and friends

Claire Dunn: Very sad.

Kelly Confer-Stambaugh: Sincerest condolences to Richard’s family

Marsha Lambert: Very sad news! My condolences

Jeanette Taylor Ford: Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to being able to tell him how much I enjoyed his book. My condolences to all the people who loved him.

Jane G. Harlond: I can't believe we won't have Richard with us any longer. So very sad. Love and good wishes to all family and those of you close to him.

Alison Morton: Very sad. He loved books and his reviews were detailed and enthusiastic and always full of support advice for authors, all delivered in a gentle but well-defined voice. His short stories were atmospheric and clever. Vale, Richard!

Loretta Livingstone: Oh, I'm so sad about that. I didn't know him well but we had chatted. I know his son was reading reviews of his books to him and hope it gave him joy to realise his dream of publishing.

Clare Flynn: Oh no. I am really sad and sorry to hear that. He will be missed. Condolences to his family.

Wendy Percival: So sorry to hear the sad news. I was wondering only the other day how he was getting on. My condolences to his family.

Liz St.John: So saddened. A fine and generous man, and a dear friend to writers everywhere. My thoughts are with his family for such a heartfelt loss.

Inge H. Borg: So sorry to hear this. He was such a staunch supporter of his writer colleagues. My condolences to his family.

Lisa Williams Adair: My sincere condolences his family.

Katherine Pym: I am so sorry to hear this. I wondered where he'd gone to when I stopped seeing his lovely reviews. Sadness all around.

Deborah Swift: Really sorry to hear it. A much loved member of our community who always supported other writers with a generous spirit.

Char Newcomb: So sorry to hear this. He will be missed.

Cryssa Bazos: I’m so very sorry. Richard has been in my thoughts since learning of his health problems. My condolences to his family and dear friends.

Elizabeth Chadwick: Oh I am sorry to hear that. I never knew him personally, but he always seemed like a lovely man.

Amy Wilson Maroney: What a kind and generous man, and what a profound loss. I'm so sad to hear this news

Paulette Mahurin: I’m so sorry to see this. My condolences to his family and friends.

Derek Birks: A sad loss. Richard was a terrific chap.

Elisabeth Hawkins: I'm so sorry. I'm sending condolences to his family and the many friends he had.

Matthew Harffy: I remember Richard championing my books from the beginning. I always looked forward to his reviews and was pleased to see he'd published a book. My sincere condolences.

LINKS

Some of Richards Articles and Stories

https://scrapsandscribblings.blogspot.com/p/stories.html

 

BY RICHARD TEARLE

Available on Amazon

Melody Mayhem: A collection of short stories

viewbook.at/MelodyMayhem

*

Melody Mayhem: The Second Movement

mybook.to/MelodyMayhem2

*

Right Trusty and Well Beloved

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

*

The North Finchley Writers’ Group

http://getbook.at/NFWritersGroup




11 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to my best friend who I will so sorely miss. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderfully heart-felt tribute. I am so sorry for the loss of your good friend, collaborator and colleague.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful tribute. I only knew of Richard, but that he is spoken so highly of by so many says it all. My sympathies to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful and touching tribute to a precious man. He will be missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing tribute. I wish I had met him too, he seemed such a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. barabra Gaskell Denvil17 April 2021 at 13:10

    Richard Teale was a remarkable man and an extremely talented author. We were in contact on line in recent years and I so very much enjoyed his emails. His death is extremely sad, I shall miss him, and his work. I sympathise even more with his family who will miss him so very much. He was kind, intelligent and far more humble than his talent deserved. His death was dramatic, involving a number of complications, but I hear that his passing was peaceful and I am so glad to hear that. I hope he is now enjoying summer in an even better place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. barabraa1` gaskell denvil17 April 2021 at 13:20

    Being a complete half blind idiot - I have posted this as a reply - but no matter - this is for Richard - bye bye, and have fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angela MacRae Shanks17 April 2021 at 13:31

    Sadly, I never met Richard, but he contacted me through Facebook and we kept in touch about writing and all things Highland. He was a gentleman and a great support. I was shocked to learn of his death. He will be sadly missed. Thank you, Helen, for your lovely tribute to him. Farewell, Richard, I hope you are now roaming the hills again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard was a true gentleman in the real sense - kind, generous with his time and his expertise, encouraging and respectful. He was an early champion of my books and I took great reassurance from that, knowing that he was speaking from a position of taste and knowledge. Like so many on here, I never met him in person, but we had a lively email friendship and I shall miss that very much. I hope it will comfort his family to know how important he was to so many in the indie writing community, and what fondness we all had for him. Thank you for everything, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone, from myself and Richard's family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having been out in the wilderness for a while, I have only just seen this news and I am absolutely devastated to read it. Although Richard and I hadn't been in touch in recent months, we were for many years great friends on Facebook. I got to know Richard thorough the Historical Novel Society Indie review team, he subsequently kindly read and reviewed all of my novels, and was a great flag waver for me, as he was for so many others who he felt had talent. He always had great advice, regularly chastised me for split infinitives, and was always there with words of support and encouragement for all my projects. He was a proper old fashioned gent of great humour, intelligence and talent in his own right. He touched so many lives, and did so much to support so many of us writers, and it was wonderful to see him finally take to the literary water himself. Rest in Peace, my fellow Cockney and dear friend, and thanks for all the smiles you sent my way over the years - you will be greatly missed. Peggy-Dorothea Smith (aka Janis Pegrum Smith) x

    ReplyDelete

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.