Wondering about submitting a novel to Discovering Diamonds
for possible review?
We prefer to receive e-versions – mobi / or professionally produced PDF ARC
(We do accept e-pub but prefer the above as most of our reviewers use a Kindle - paperbacks will be accepted by arrangement)
- We accept indie or traditionally published books of Historical Fiction of any sub-genre: i.e historical romance, thriller, timeslip etc. (‘Historical’ means at least 75% must be set pre 1953
- Send a final version e-file... Incorrect formatting, too many typos/ errors in an unedited file will result in your book being rejected without being read.
email Helen Hollick firstname.lastname@example.org
for further details
mark the subject line :
Discovering Diamonds Submissions
include in the text
* BOOK TITLE
* AUTHOR NAME
(if different from author name)
*isbn / asin
Thank you, we look forward to hearing from you
FURTHER DETAILS ABOUT E-BOOKS
"We are not here as technical arbiters but as book reviewers who need simple common standards to judge how easy the book as a product is to use."
All books have to be fully published and the version submitted has to be the published version, not a proof or intermediate edition. The only exceptions are PDF ARC versions from established publishing houses.
We require correctly formatted, readable, files: mobis (for Kindle) preferably but we do accept ePub versions (for everything else such as iBooks, Google Playbooks etc). We will not necessarily accept files that were created on free, downloadable software by the author/publishing house as these can often contain errors and give a false impression of the production quality of the book. Incorrectly formatted files create incorrectly formatted ebooks. Issues such as double line spaces between paragraphs, page numbers in the middle of a 'page' etc., blank pages can indicate incorrectly formatted files sent to be published. This is often down to using tabs to indent paragraphs as tabs do not play well with digital publishing formats. Such things tend to happen when trying to convert a Word.doc to a mobi using unsuitable free software.
What we look for:
What we look for:
- The text should be justified, not left or right or centres but margin to margin, as you would expect for any professionally print book.
- Indents should only be used for subparagraphs and dialogue except where the dialogue is at the beginning of a new text block (new chapter, after a break, line of asterisks etc).
- Ebooks can have a full page for a new chapter: no need for a half page of text as is frequently seen in print books.
- The cover should be part of the file, not as a separate attachment. Amazon requires the text and cover to be submitted separately and then put the two together for the final on-sale version. Our reviewers here at Discovering Diamonds, however, are not Amazon, so we want the book as the buyer gets it, please.
- We expect to receive, read, and review the same format as any reader who may potentially purchase your novel.
- The 'Look Inside' feature on Amazon for Kindle books can give a misleading indication of formatting.
There is some controversy about formatting ebooks because text can be altered by individual readers for their specific requirements, however, despite the myth that 'correct formatting is not suitable for ebooks' that is a myth! Correct formatting is no problem for the professional ebook formatter who will have ensured the text wraps and new paragraphs still have an indent. Paragraphs, correctly justified margins, indents, etc., should all be retained, if correctly formatted, even though the text has flowed to accommodate the different page sizes. Hence, we insist on correct, professional level formatting. However, we do appreciate that there are issues with this, so we reserve the right to use our judgement regarding the formatting of novels submitted to us.
For further technical information about producing an ebook please contact our technical adviser e-book editor, Nicky Galliers.