Monday 10 June 2019

Blossom on the Thorn by Loretta Livingstone

shortlisted for Book of the Month


Blossom on the Thorn (Out of Time Book 3)

"Drawing the reader with delightful ease into the everyday life of the twelfth century, with characters who are believable, nice descriptions and engrossing scenes, there is much to like about this charming novel."

Amazon UK
Amazon US
Amazon CA

Out Of Time series Bk 3

Romance/ Fictional saga
12th century
England

"1195 'I should have had nothing to do with those accursed Angevins. I should have run like hell in the opposite direction.' Giles de Soutenay can scarcely be blamed for his disappointment. Promised an heiress by Queen Eleanor, he is dismayed to discover that, although young and attractive, his bride has all the warmth of a stone effigy. For the newly widowed Isabella, the reality of a new husband is no cause for celebration. She will do her duty but no more. She will give de Soutenay no reason to complain but he will not have her heart, for any belief in love and tenderness died during those brief years of her first marriage. However, she has reckoned without Giles' perseverance. After the snows of winter, spring brings hope, until the arrival of a stranger threatens Giles and Isabella’s blossoming happiness. A stranger who might tear them apart before they have truly found each other. Only if Giles can learn patience and Isabella can learn trust can they hope to find lasting love."

The previous two Out Of Time novels by Loretta Livingstone have been highly enjoyable reads - and this third instalment has been no exception to the rule.

Chronologically, Blossom On The Thorn takes place earlier than the previous two novels, and this one does not have the time-travel element, but it is a splendid novel even without that fantasy inclusion, (although one of my favourite characters, Abbess Hildegarde, who came from the twentieth century is mentioned.) 

Drawing the reader with delightful ease into the everyday life of the twelfth century, with characters who are believable (the baddies as well as the goodies), with nice descriptions and engrossing scenes there is much to like about this charming novel. There is love and tragedy, hope and fear, trust and betrayal - in short, this was a well written thoroughly entertaining read. A beautiful heart-wrenching  love story of two very likeable characters, Giles and Isabella. Add to that, the cover design is stunning.

This is one of those novels where you want to plant yourself in a deckchair in the sun, a glass of wine to hand and lose yourself into its pages.

Did I say this one is not a time travel novel? Actually, it is, in a way, because the story is so absorbing you find yourself there, in the 1100s watching the characters as they move through their lives.

I loved this novel! I do hope we can expect another...?

© Mary Chapple


<previous   next >

You will find several items of interest on the sidebar

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your fabulous review, Mary. I really appreciate it. And thank you for shortlisting it, Helen - you've made my day. I'm thrilled you love the cover, too. It was designed by Cathy Helms of Avalon Graphics.

    I'm so pleased you're looking forward to more books in the series. I'm hoping, health permitting - there will be at least three more novels in the series. I have started working on the next one - the story of how Ethledreda, from book 1, became a nun. There will hopefully be a prequel telling Hildegarde's story, too. And Shannon and Marion are expected to show up again in another. Of course, this is all speculation - I never quite know who is going to whisper their story in my ear until it happens. And since I never quite believe I can tell their story until I'm halfway through, I have my fingers crossed every time.

    I'm having to take a few months away from writing at the moment as I suffer from M.E. and writing Blossom half killed me, lol, but as soon as I feel I'm able, I'll be back to working on book 4.

    Anyway, thank you so much, Helen and Mary. You've both just plastered a great big smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I forgot to say. Blossom on the Thorn is reduced to 99p/99c for a couple more days so if anyone reading this fancies buying a copy, now would be a great time. *Wink*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trilogy, really takes you there and into the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much. I'm so glad you enjoyed them all. ��

      Delete
  4. Oops. Sorry about the strange symbols. I forgot this website doesn't do emojis. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great review,Loretta. As you know I write futuristic romance rather than historical - but I do love reading historical,including yours. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hywela. Yes, I loved your futuristic novel. I can't do future worlds very well - I need the basic world to be already in existence, lol.

      Delete
  6. I love everything 12th century England and France! I just bought all three books, and I'm moving them to the top of my TBR pile. I also enjoy time travel, so that was another selling point.

    Thanks for putting book 3 on sale! I'm glad I was able to get it at .99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thanks so much, Jennie. I'm thrilled you have all of them. I really hope you enjoy them.
      Yes, it seemed a good idea to put Blossom on a Countdown deal to coincide with my DDRevs review - I'm delighted you were able to benefit from it.

      Delete
  7. Apologies for the delay in replying (a thunder storm zapped my broadband connection somewhere outside the house) Our pleasure, Loretta, your hard work has paid off! Super novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Helen. That means a lot to me. I'm still a bit overawed that such a long term favourite author of mine is reading my books, lol. Having Nicky as my editor has made such a difference.
      I'm glad your broadband is back - that must have been a real pain.
      Thanks again for reviewing and shorlisting. I really appreciate it.

      Delete

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.