Thursday 30 August 2018

Cover and Book of the Month - AUGUST

 


designer Cathy Helms of www.avalongraphics.org
with fellow designer Tamian Wood of www.beyonddesigninternational.com
will select the Cover of the Month
with all winners going forward for Cover of the Year in December 2018
(and honourable mentions going forward for Honourable Mention Runner-up)
Note: where UK and US covers differ only one version will be selected

* * *
Novels Reviewed During AUGUST
(selected at the end of the month)
WINNER

Read our review HERE 
Cover designed by publisher SEVERN HOUSE

Honourable Mention Runners Up

read our review HERE
Read our review HERE
read our review HERE 

From our AUGUST REVIEWS


Runner Up - Chosen because I enjoyed the adventure 
- great fun (and terrific writing!)
Read our review HERE

And my selected Book of the Month is...

read our review HERE
Thoroughly enjoyed this one as well, but it squeezed into top place because I adore novels about the past of old houses. (Which is why I love living in my own old  Devon farmhouse built circa 1769 - I often wonder who lived here, what they did, were they happy or sad? The house has a happy atmosphere, though, so mostly the former I think.) The novel was a little difficult to get into for the first couple of pages because the opening narrative hops between past and present but 'hopping' never really bothers me (probably because I have a continuously hopping-about mind anyway!) and once you get the idea of what the author is doing the novel becomes an absorbing page-turner.

I know just what the lead character, Freya, meant when she said it felt like her house 'hugged her' when she first entered through the front door. Exactly the same happened to me when I first walked into the old part of our house. Maybe the romance side of the story was predictable - but that's the way romances are meant to be.

I loved the scenes from the past - expertly done (I have several 'ghost's' who remain with us here in my Devon house as welcome guests!)

My only criticism is that I think the cover could be more eye-catching, the present one doesn't give a feel of what the story is about. Such a delightful story deserves a gorgeous cover I think. And why not a hare on the cover given that a hare is almost a lead character?
Apart from that one tiny miff I loved this novel!

* * *

For last month's selections see main menu bar

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Winners and Honourable Mentions in both categories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! This is my book of the year so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Helen and the team. I'm absolutely delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Cheers to Severn House for designing the cover for The Deepest Grave!

    ReplyDelete

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.