Sunday 31 May 2020

Guest Spot - Susan Appleyard




I was born in Leeds, Yorkshire and immigrated to Canada with my husband and 3 small children in the seventies. Those children have produced 6 grandchildren and one of those grandchildren has just had a son of his own. I have been blessed with a wonderful – and growing! – family. For the last twenty-five years or so, my husband and I have been spending increasingly long periods of winter in Mexico and we now stay here for fully 6 months. (Anyone who has experienced an Ontario winter would understand why.) We have a house by the sea near Puerto Vallarta, lots of nice people to hang out with and there is a writers’ group here. I feel blessed in this also.

History was always my passion. It is one of the things I miss about England. I have always enjoyed writing also. I was the kid in school who was often chosen by teachers to read my essay or story out to the class as an example of how things should be done. And never, not once, did I write a character into a corner and then have him/her awaken from a dream. So weak! I always had dolls in my bed because I used to make up little plays of derring-do in my head and act them out. I was the heroine. Various dolls were the villains. I think it was inevitable that I should become a writer or an actress. If I had become an actress, I wonder if I would be super-rich now. Another Meryl Streep perhaps?

My first opportunity as a writer came from a small publishing company in Toronto, Canada. They gave me a 3-book contract, published 2 books and then announced they were selling out to another company in that literary mecca, Beverly Hills. Right out of the blue. I had only a sip from the cup of success before it was snatched away. My career was in the toilet, so was my spirit. I gave up trying to get published. I did lots of other things, but I never gave up writing. Every now and then, the urge would come upon me and I would have to get something down on paper. (Yes, it was paper in those days.) It was a compulsion every bit as powerful as the need for a cigarette when you’re trying to quit.

Thirty years after the publication of my first book came my second opportunity – with Amazon, and I have taken full advantage. I now have 2 more books published as paperbacks, and 8 Ebooks, with 1 more on the way in April. All within 5 years. So those ‘in-between’ years weren’t entirely wasted.

I have now faced the fact that I have probably written my last book. I find computer use is adversely affecting my eyes. And yes, I realise there are other options, none of which suit me. More compelling is that in the past when I have finished a book, I already know what I want to write next and am eager to begin. Not so this time. There are other things I like to do. I like to paint and dance and swim and play cards. I go to the gym and do water aerobics. I’m a fit 71-year-old and intend to stay that way. In a few days, I will be going scuba diving for the first time. (Cross that off the bucket list.) And I think it’s high time I learned how to cook Mexican.

So I am at ease with my decision. My life has been and still is happy and fulfilling.

Thank you for reading.


https://www.smashwords.com/books/search?query=Susan+Appleyard

http://www.amazon.com/Susan-Appleyard/e/B00UTVMT5Y


https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=susan+appleyard&i=digital-text&crid=CUPN8ZXV48M



Click HERE (and scroll down to 'A') to find our  reviews of Susan Appleyard's books  on Discovering Diamonds



If your novel/s have been reviewed by Discovering Diamonds
and you would like to participate in our 
 Guest Spot
click HERE for details

No comments:

Post a Comment

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.